After a chilly weekend here in New York, I’m ecstatic to have an upcoming trip to Mexico this fall. We’re going to be staying on the western coast, in a small surfing town and I could not be more excited.
I’ve been busy preparing for the trip, gathering up some necessities, as well as some fun treats. We’ll be doing a lot of swimming, I hope, since we’ll have a pool, and are in walking distance to the beach. Mostly I’m just looking to maximize our time with warm weather fun. I may have gone a little overboard, but I’m just so excited.
Here’s what I’ll be packing:
- Waterproof container for keys & money – for all those beach days!
- Water purification system – so we can wash and eat fresh fruits and veggies without fear of “Montezuma’s revenge”
- Leave-in conditioner – I don’t want my hair to get dry or brittle
- Low chemical Sunscreen – Recently I’ve become very particular about the types of sunscreen I use, and try to avoid a lot of chemicals. I rely on a list by the Environmental Working Group to help me pick the best choices.
- Spanish Phrase Book – Luckily, George speaks conversational Spanish. However, I barely know 20 words. I did a little bit of Duolingo practice, but really haven’t kept up with it. Time to get studying!
- Lilly Pultizer Shorts – I got these earlier in the summer and they are so comfortable and soft. If the rise were just a touch longer, I’d rock these everywhere. For now they’re cute beach shorts.
- Speaker system – After being at enough parties with Bluetooth speaker systems, I began to think they are the perfect invention. You can easily stream music from your phone or mp3 player and they get surprisingly loud. This one was only $30.
- Underwater camera – Alright, this was a complete splurge. But I’m a bit tired of carrying around my large DSLR, even though I love the photo quality. After scrounging up the cash, I bought this point and shoot camera that’s waterproof and crushproof. Now I can easily bring it on any trip and not worry about breaking it. And I cannot wait to try out underwater shots!
- Pool toys – I hardly ever get the opportunity to float around on pool toys, since I don’t have my own pool, and all public pools and beaches frown upon inflatables. My excitement over the beach balls and pool floats I’m bringing is palpable.
- Pocket Posh Sudoku – I really love Sudoku as a manageable, but channeling, puzzle. I recently purchased one of these adorable, purse-sized books of puzzles.
Phew! I hope with all these goodies I’ll still be able to take just one suitcase and not be over the weight limit. Fingers crossed!