Ever since the fall I have had two terra cotta pots around my apartment. They were originally intended for my basil plant, but that died because of neglect. Now that spring is leading into summer, I’ve decided it’s time to try out my green thumb again. Before planting in the pots I have, I wanted to jazz them up a little.
I decided to use basic paints to add designs to the two terra cotta planters. I also had my trusted painter’s tape on hand.
I originally tried to use some white enamel paint by the brand folkart, but that was unsuccessful. I’ve tried this same white paint on a couple different surfaces and can barely notice any color at all, so it’s going in the trash. I switched to regular black acrylic paint. My pots will either be inside or under cover, so I don’t have to worry about the full outside elements on the paint.
On one planter I used the painter’s tape to create triangles across the surface of the pot. I filled those in, adding a second coat after the first was dry.
On the other planter I did a double v organic pattern on the top. I also added a band of color around the pot.
I am pretty happy with how they came out. In hindsight, I think I should have kept the two patterns more similar, and either done two geometric designs or two organic designs. Oh well. Maybe I’ll just have to gift a plant to someone else, sparing it from certain death under my care.
This weekend I’m going to be stopping by my local farmer’s market to find something to pot in these containers. I’ll probably choose basil again, but stayed tuned!